- Requisition Number: 101212019
- Department: DUKE HOSPITAL
- Location: Durham
- Type of Position: Regular
- Shift: First/Day
Duke University Health System- Duke University Hospital - PEDIATRICS OR seeks to hire Surgical Technologist who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
Work Hours & Shifts:
Full-Time Four 10 hour Day Shifts (7am - 5:30pm)
Duke University Hospital is comprised of three surgical sites; Duke Hospital, which is a 24-hour, 7 day a week, Level 1 Trauma Center with 35 Operating Rooms connected to the Duke Medicine Pavilion (DMP) with 18 operating rooms. Additionally, we have an Ambulatory Surgery Center with 9 operating rooms and Eye Center with 6 operating rooms.
Duke North /DMP Surgical Services includes eight specialties offering new and exciting opportunities in both adult and pediatrics using the latest technological advancements including two intraoperative MRI suites and two intraoperative CT suites.
· Average Daily Census 783
· Surgical Cases 40, 055
· Endoscopy Cases 20,000
· Cath Cases 7, 500
· 500 + Life Flight transports per year
Surgical Technologists (ST) are allied health professionals who assist in the preparation and care of surgical patients ranging from infancy to geriatrics under the general direction of a professional nurse. The ST possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a surgeon’s performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
The ST who has a dual function in the operating room and the ambulatory setting demonstrates competency in the care of surgical patients preoperatively and postoperatively in the ambulatory surgical clinic setting.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience Required:
- Ability to adapt to changes within unit.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure in a stressful environment, and often without relief.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of anatomy relating to the surgical procedure and the instrumentation required in order to effectively anticipate the needs of the surgeon.
- Ability to set priorities and respond appropriately to actual and/or potential life threatening situations
Surgical Technologist, Surg Tech, Surgical Tech, NST, NCCT